Monday 31 January 2011

French polishing & Rubber making

French polishing and rubber making.

In order to French polish, you will need a handful of cotton wool, and a sheet of clean white cotton material about 7ins or 17.5cm.
Shape the cotton wool into a pear shape, then cover the wool with the rag trying to make a point at the front.
Once you have made the correct shape open the cloth, then charge with French polish and reshape, you will find this a little easier to do whilst the cotton wool is wet.
The excess rag can be twisted at the back of the pad, and used as a grip in your hand.
If your wood is now ready to polish, you can apply a few drops of linseed oil onto your furniture, then wipe over with your now new French polishing rubber.
To start off go in the direction of the grain, using light pressure, when you are confident with this you can then move on to polish in circles, or a figure of eight patterns.
If you feel that your polishing becomes too stiff, apply some more linseed oil onto the furniture, this should now work much easier.
Try not to press too hard or stop whilst polishing as this could leave marks on the surface.
Top up your rubber occasionally with French polish, and you can apply a small amount of Methylated spirits, but do take great care not to apply too much as the Methylated spirits could strip off all your hard work.
Please be patient whilst practising as this does take a very long time to perfect.
To finish off your polishing you must follow the direction of the grain with light pressure, and perhaps change the rubber rag, as this will help to clean off all the linseed oil.
You should now begin to see a clear finish start to emerge, keep working until you can see no more oil streaks on the surface of your furniture,
Leave this to dry for at least three days to harden properly, leave much longer if possible.


Continued

I should like to give you the details, regarding the French polish that I prefer to use.
I use Special Pale Shellac polish, which is manufactured by Morrells Ltd. (UK)
This is a highly refined polish, pressure filtered several times, which gives a pale amber coloured polish.
For use in the highest quality, antique restoration processes.
Product Codes: 3070/000 
Pack sizes available: 1L - 5 Litres.








12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder, good information that I will be able to look back on. Good to see you blogging - keep it up! A topic for the future perhaps....caring for a french polished piece of furniture...what products should/shouldn't you use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Graham, for your kind comments.
    Glad that it can be of use to you.
    I will write a paper on how to maintain a French polished surface.
    Thanks for you idea.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the French Polish you're referring to shellac?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Frank,

    Yes, the French polish I use, is manufactured by Morrells Ltd, It is called Special pale polish (Shellac)And wil give a full gloss finish on fine quality furniture.
    I will add this information on my blog when I have more time. Thanks for feedback!
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, My mum is doing her ver first french polishing but is alway left with steaks. Any advice? Many thanks. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I meant "streaks" not "steaks"!!! OOpps

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi and thanks for your enquiry.
    Your Mum might be using too much oil, as this would cause this problem.
    Remember to change the rag often, and use light pressure during the finishing off process.
    It takes time to learn these skills.
    If I can help anymore just let me know.
    I hope you like my Blog?
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Andrew, Thank you for the advice. You have restored some lovely pieces of furniture. Another question though, during the finishing off process would it be best for her to use a clean rubber, and if to use methylated spirit and how much exactly? How many coats do you normally have to do to get a nice finish? Does she have to leave it 3 days inbetween coats? Many Thanks, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Charlotte,
    Thank you for your enquiry, I have written a new post just for you and everybody else!! Tltled just for Charlotte! Please take a look, and I hope that I have managed to answer all of your questions.
    Great to hear from you.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Andrew,
    I would like to ask about a problem that has arisen in my french polishing process. I am polishing table tops and have been making excellent progress. The process seemed to be more or less stable, but in the last couple of days I find that I am having problems with 'grabbing' of the pad, removing polish instead of adding it, and build up of polish on the pad. As a result, my polishing has ground to halt. I can't figure out what has changed, but even so, I have tried changing the temperature, shellac solution, pad material, etc. to no avail. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Peter,
    Thanks for your questions, I shall write a Blog page about this, and I will publish this over the weekend, so please look out for this.
    I shall call it (Problems with French polishing).
    Regards, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete