Saturday 29 January 2011

How you can clean your furniture

How you can clean your furniture.


Method One: Mix 50% Linseed oil & 25% White spirits & 25% Methylated spirits into a sealed container then gently shake up the mixture.
Apply using a piece of cotton wool, then wipe over the surface of the furniture and you will begin to see the grime come off.
When you have finished cleaning, buff over with some Beeswax polish.
This works very well on chairs however, keep off the fabric.
Method Two: Use a good quality burnishing cream or burnishing paste.
These work very well if you wish to thoroughly clean and increase the shine on your furniture.
Apply to cotton wool and buff with a clean soft cloth following the grain.
Method Three: Wax polish is the most common way to clean furniture, and has been used for many years now.
Method Four: Aerosols have become very quick and easy to use.
You can buy Beeswax polish spray cans or silicone sprays.
Use these occasionally, make sure that you rub off very well, and leave a dry surface.
Read the label before use.
Liberon also supplies Lib Net Furniture cleaner.  Also a good tip!  Burnishing cream will clean Ivory, Brass fittings, Mother of Pearl, Tortoiseshell and Papier Mache.


Please, let me know if this has been of any help to you.




6 comments:

  1. I have known this guy since 1969.
    We both attended London College of Furniture.
    We even shared each other's work there.
    We flew to Spain together in 1972.
    I attended his wedding.
    A real professional at his job. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy, am already missing the class, but thanks for pointing me to your very very valuable tips and instructions, they are clear and easy to follow. Savita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Savita,

    It was great having you in my class, and I am now enjoying the Cadbury Roses yummy.
    I am glad that you also, like my tips and instruction papers a big thank you for that.
    I will add some more soon.
    Please come back to my blog and class again soon.
    Best regards.
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrew what about oz polish cream! I see this in a lot of French polishers kits now. How and why do they use this? Also so with using these items to clean, can you repolish or relacquer over the top once you have used them cheers james

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi James, sounds sad but I don't know about oz cream therefore I can't give you an answer however, is it some kind of burnishing cream? I use burnishing cream to lift the sheen level as and when required. After using burnishing cream there should be no need to go over with any other finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrew yes the oz cream has me baffled but I'm assuming it must be like a burnish cream I know it's a degreaser so must be used in a similar fashion to burnishing cream. At what stages in French polishing can I use burnishing cream? Plus can you just clean finished wood with it that doesn't have much damage and just spot repair the damage. Sorry for all my questions cheers James

    ReplyDelete