Thursday 17 February 2011

Dye & Pigments

Hi,

Today, I want to tell you about dyes and pigments.

Methods:

1) The Ochre powder range can be mixed with French polish or cellulose lacquer and thinned down with cellulose thinners.
You can apply this by brush, or on large areas using a sponge, as this is a good method for obliterating patches etc.

2) The spirit powder range can be mixed with Methylated spirits to make it into a stain. (Very fast drying) Or mixed with French polish; and used for touching up marks and scratches etc.
Please note that these stains are very concentrated and therefore you will only need to use a very small amount.

3) The water range are self-explanatory just add water and powder to suit for the depth of colour that you require.

4) Vandyke crystals must be mixed with, I prefer to use hot water to dissolve them; this will give you a dark brown colour however, this method does raise the grain.

5) Other powder colours can usually be mixed with French polish, lacquer or varnish. 

I hope that this will be of help to you!  If so please give me feedback.

Thanks for reading.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, this posting came at a good time for me :)

    I have a Victorian table (mahogany), with a split from one end to another, this has been structurally fixed - I now need to make it cosmetically look like it was never there. I have started by filling the small gap with the aim then to rub down and then colour match the filler with pigments. I will then possibly look to stain and French polish. Is this the best approach or am I tackling this all wrong?

    Any advise or help that you can provide for this project is appreciated.

    Will see you next week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Graham,

    How did I know? Well, I think you could fill in the split, if it is very shallow and thin with a wax filler stick from my favorite suppliers.
    You can buy them in various colours such as Dark Mahogany colour, as this will save you hours of trying to match the colour using pigments etc.
    However, if the joint is deep then you will need to fill it with the two pack wood filler, and then sand smooth, stain over seal the grain and then if needed colour the line out using the Mahogany stain mixed with French polish as this will bind the stain and hence stick to the surface and should colour out the remaining filler.
    You can melt the wax filler into the grove using a hot blade, and to level the wax use an edged piece of wood or and old fashioned peg beveled edge going across the grove to give you a perfect finish, and then just sand down with a block and fine sandpaper. (Don't go through the stain)
    I hope that this has been of help to you?
    If so please let me know. For more info you are very welcome to ask me.
    Regards.
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,

    Helpful as always! OK so I forgot to mention one other minor defect. The Mahogany has what appears to be bad water damage. Now I have tried to sand it out but I can still see it. Is the only way to deal with this problem stain/bleech or should I continue to sand down? It's solid Mahogany :)

    Thanks again and see you next week.
    Grahm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Graham,

    Thanks for your message, well I think that now that you have sanded it down it might be a good idea to wash over the surface, with warm water using cotton wool and rinse out often until the water becomes clear.
    Therefore, you should change the water several times.
    Then when dry, let me know if you can still see the old water mark?
    Dry off the surface with clean rag, this will raise the grain but that won't matter as the top is made of solid wood!
    Now ready for another fine sandpaper down again.
    If all else fails bring it into show me on Tuesday.
    I hope this be of help to you?
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete