Monday 14 March 2011

How to care for your Garden furniture


Welcome.

Today, I want to tell you how you can care for your Wooden Garden Furniture.

Well, if your furniture has become very grey and worn in colour, it is now time to give it a facelift.
To start with sandpaper off the entire surface following my instructions on How to sandpaper Wood. (This is on my Blog site)

Once you have finished all the sanding, and have cleaned off all the fine particles of dust.

You are now ready to start to protect your outdoor wooden furniture:

I would suggest that if the furniture is made of Teak, then I would recommend that you use Teak oil.
This can be purchased from any good hardware store.

It is best to apply this by brush, as you can reach all those hard to get at places.

Apply one coat of Teak oil and let it soak into the grain for a short while.
And then rub off the excess.

Then after the first coat has dried, it is best to give your item another coat over, and once again let the oil soak deep into the wood.

I would suggest that you work outside in the fresh air. As the oil gives off a slight odour.

Safety Points:

Before you dispose of your used Cloths / Rags you must first wet them with water.
As they can, become self-igniting. (Therefore very hazardous).
Never leave any used Cloths / Rags in your home, always dispose of them in a Wet condition, and store them outside your home in a suitable waste bin.
Wash the brush out according to the manufacturer's instructions.
I hope that this has been of use to you.
If so please give me feedback.
Thanks for reading.












8 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, I had mentioned to you a good supplier at our previous lesson and said that I would post you their name. Well here it is.....

    http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Graham,

    Thanks for the link, I shall add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for tips, very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Toyin,

    Thank you so much for your kind comments.
    If you need further information regarding wood finishing,please let me know.
    Regards.
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for the helpful information and tips about Outdoor Wooden Furniture.. keep up the good work.. im looking forward for your future post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for your kind words.
    I am very pleased that you like the information.
    Let me know, what you would like me to write about next, as if I can help others I will.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outdoor furniture or patio furniture costs a lot and is not something we want to spend our hard earned money on all the time. With proper care and cleaning, we can enjoy our outdoor furniture for many a wonderful year.
      wood treatment

      Delete
  7. Hello and thanks for your interest in my Blog!
    Wood-finishing need not cost the earth, if it is treated before it gets in a poor state.
    Every product breaks down over time, and therfore a routine check is required.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete