Saturday 22 June 2013

Restored Sheet Music Cabinet



As you can see this sheet music cabinet has been fully restored.



The top has expanded apart & split


You can see the split rail & poor condition surface

Handles cleaned and buffed

Showing the top tilted



In order to restore this piece I had to remove the split top, then glue and clamp the two pieces together, then sand down the top for a smooth and even surface.

It was then stained a Medium Oak colour with a Golden Oak stain on top so as to give the cabinet a slight glow to enhance the appearance.

The top was previously nailed to the caucus and therefore, was not allowing the top of the cabinet to be able to tilt up to enable music sheets to be placed whilst playing etc.

All the handles were cleaned and buffed to a high shine.

The cabinet does not have the brass gallery to support the music sheets anymore however,  I expect that one could be found should the owner choose.

Once again thanks for taking the time to read my posts.






3 comments:

  1. Dear Andrew,
    Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure exactly what function this piece of furniture is suppose to serve. To me it looks like a rather tall - or extra slim - chest of drawers or a filing cabinet.
    But your professionalism in restoring it to its former glory shines again.
    Thankyou for sharing and it's good to see you and your work back on this site.
    All the best,
    Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is for the Sheet music Frank!
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew nice work. I'm new to the process. I am a luthier have just finished a steel string dreadnought with Brazilian rosewood back and sides. Using the french polishing web source at http://www.milburnguitars.com and following the directions to the letter I have made it to the first session of bodying and I am realizing the tight grain in a burl like section of one section of the back wood has not worked out as beautifully as the rest of the back. If we could skype or if I could post photos you might be able to advise if, one, I need to strip all or just this section, and maybe sand to 3000 grit in this burl area, or maybe more pumice sessions? Many questions but need you to see whats it looks like first, please let me know if you can assist. My email is michaelgburchfield@gmail.com phone 850 524 4500 est time USA.

    ReplyDelete