Thursday 7 January 2016

Burr Oak Dining Table refinished


This Burr Oak Dining Table, was yet another difficult project, why? I hear you ask.

Well, I was told by the client that it was made about twenty years ago and that it had been specially made for them, therefore, I had to do some research about the maker and what finish had been applied?

The client gave me the contact details of the maker, and after having spent some time on the phone, I was told that this table and others were manufactured and sold to one of the UK's leading Furniture dealers and that the veneer was very thin, therefore, I would have to be very careful not to go through it.

Due to this, I had to consider is it really worth my while to take on such a job? Or would I be better off leaving this one?

Well, as always French polishing has its up's and down's in workloads, so I took it on.

You can see the paint stripper has been applied to the surface and just waiting for the surface to bubble up.

Once stripped and all the perpetration completed, I then as with the client's permission sprayed the surface with a plastic coating as this is the hardest finish for a table that will be used on a daily basis.

The client and I were very pleased with the outcome what do you think?






Thanks for stopping by.


3 comments:

  1. Hello my old shiner! Do you ever use HL polish (Jenkins) or Heat resistant polish (Mylands)? As you well know - both of these polishes require NO OIL! - and if you do use oil the finish will eventually crack! Just curious

    Kind Regards

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      One thing I don't use is heat resisting polish, Why? Because I don't think it works, and when I did use it years ago, I could not get on with it.
      Perhaps it has improved now, but I still won't try it. If I need a tougher
      finish I use a plastic coating or the like, and this way I know it will work as it says on the tin pardon the pun.
      My advise is if you are having trouble using heat resisting polish it to stop using the stuff.
      Great that you come to my Blog, thanks for that much appreciated.
      Regards,
      Andrew

      Delete
    2. No... I am not having trouble with it (HL polish and Heat resistant polish) its just that some times I have found HL polish or heat resistant polish (they are both the same really!) come in handy sometimes! the thing is with these 'Polishes' is that they move around WITHOUT OIL - and once you have your required body - you then proceed to thin out the polish. It takes a while to get used too! however, sometimes it is required to apply this polish (job specifications).

      Anyway it is interesting reading how secretive polishers are (from your introduction) they're all the same :) I too had that - eventually I persevered and learnt off of all of them (about 12-18 Polishers - ALL with different methods) I am an all round polisher/commercial finisher (shop-fitting, site work, paneling, antique restoration) - and fully conversant with all of the methods and materials around (a bit like yourself!) but I do love 'rubbering-up'(traditional application) and - not a lot of people can do this anymore!

      Kind Regards

      James

      P.S 'Keep the Polishers Polishing' :)

      Delete