Wednesday 27 July 2011

Have you ever sanded through the veneer?

Have you ever sanded through the Wood veneer?

Well, I think that we have all done this at some point, well how can you rectify this problem?

Firstly, if you see that the colour usually around the edges, of your item starts to change in any way, then you have started to go through the veneer.
If this has happened then you must stop sanding immediately otherwise you will make a bad situation even worse.

colours such as let's say the wood is Teak! Then I would mix a little Yellow Ochre and just a hint of Orange Chrome mix these with French polish or lacquer should you wish. How to rectify this problem, what I do is to make up a colour match as near as  possible to the veneer, using either Ochre
Using a very fine pointed brush, apply several thin layers of colour trying to match and follow the grain.
You must leave each layer to dry, if you don't you will find that all you will do is build up a too thick a coat of colour and the patch will look unsightly.
The best way is to just be patient and the results will show for themselves.
You can also use Spirit colours to do this job, and I do often use these colours, as and when they are needed, as you don't get the painted look that often occurs with Ochre powders.
Spirit colours can be mixed with Methylated spirits and French polish to bind them.
When you come to polish over the newly coloured area, you must be very careful not to wipe off all your hard work when applying another rubber or coat of finish.
It is much better that you apply a thin polish layer and leave this to dry before attempting to polish over too quickly.
I have seen many people trying to touch up patches using brushes overfilled with colour, and end up with a sticky mess that has to come off and then have to start again, due to not applying thin enough layers and not using just the tip of the brush as it was intended to be used.

I would suggest that you try out these methods on an obsolete piece of wood that matches as near as possible first, this way you will save yourself a great deal of time and headache later on when you have done this for real.

Yellow Ochre is a powder colour, made from Earth rock crushed very finely.
Orange Chrome is a very bright colour likewise made from Earth rock.
Ochre colours are used if you need a dull colour, however; Chrome colours are used when you need to achieve a bright shade.
They can be purchased from any good Wood finishing suppliers or Art shops.
I hope that this will be of some help to you? If so your feedback will be most welcome.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew great information. I was wondering what the essential touch up equipment is needed by a French polisher. I have earth pigment powders, artist paints acrylic oil and gouache. Plus I have concentrated dyes for tinting both solvent and acrylic. I was wondering what is the best way for painting grain on say oak ash mahogany teakwood rosewood as I know there is different techniques applied with the different wood grain species. I would love to perfect the art of colouring out white wood filler when repairing holes in doors and the like. Would love your advice cheers James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, for myself I use spirit colours as they don't look like a paint over job, and can be mixed with French polish and if necessary thinned out with Methylated spirits. I only ever use powder colours if there is no other choice, and will help get out of a tricky situation. Now you can bye a set of touch up pens from Morrells Wood finishing Company, I find them really great as the tips on the pens are very fine and that aids touching up small marks and with drawing in missing grain etc. As for painting grain over paint I have only done that many years ago so as to simulate Marble, I found the best way was to use a white background to start with and then pretty much add the stain with a feather as this will give you a good grained effect, then I used to flick on some Meths and that would spread out the stain and it would look like real Marble. When satisfied I would either polish over, or you could spray over a clear lacquer for greater protection. Try to avoid white filler, to avoid trying to colour this out go for the correct or as near as filler colour, or add in some powder colour if necessary. Hope this helps a little. regards, Andrew. Glad you like my Blogsite, thanks for that.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andrew thanks for your advice. May I ask what the difference in the spirit colours and earth pigment powder are. I have dye tints that can colour shellac lacquer and acrylic. how would I go about filling a 4 inch hole in a door. I thought that 2 pack wood filler and then use my artist paints to colour the grain back in. Then relacquer the door. Cheers James

    ReplyDelete