Monday 8 August 2011

Sanding Machines

Sanding Machines.



These are just some of the various machines I choose to use.

How about this beast!  A Makita Belt sander

















Now with the dust bag





Makita Orbital sander
 
 






 







This is an old Bosch machine & still going























Throughout my time as a French polisher, I have used various different hand-operated sanding machines, and have now come to the conclusion, that the low priced machines don't perform well or last very long at all.

In one instance I purchased a cheap orbital sander for a job, and it lasted for about a week, well I took it back to the shop as it was still under guarantee so they offered me another as a replacement.
I can't remember how long that one lasted now, but probably not very long.

Well, if you are like me, when you buy a new machine you expect it to last for years and never go wrong! Don't you.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, it is much better to purchase an expensive branded sander, as you will benefit from the built-in quality and it should last for many years.

I make my sanders work really hard, and when they go wrong or the outer electric cable starts to wear through, I take them for repairs and overhauling.

Makes of sanders, which I like to use, are both Bosch and Makita, I have found them to be extremely reliable, and they also have very powerful motors that seem to go on forever.

What I also like about them, is that they both have dust collection attachments and this is a must if you are working in an environment where dust could become a problem.

Safety points:

You should always wear suitable goggles and a dust mask whilst sanding, otherwise, the fine wood dust particles will fly into your eyes and nose etc. Causing discomfort, plus harm to your lungs etc.

If you are carrying out large amounts of sanding, you might consider purchasing a pair of Synthetic leather Gloves with neoprene palm, pads to reduce vibration.
These are made by DeWalt.

This will cut down on repetitive strain syndrome, and make for greater comfort.

Always read all the manufactures instructions prior to the use of your new product.
Take care whilst using your machine.
Feedback is always welcome.




No comments:

Post a Comment